- Created on Thursday, 07 May 2009 06:34
- Last Updated on Thursday, 07 May 2009 07:06
At the UN, delegates from Working group I are currently working on recommendations and suggestions to the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD-17) negotiating text. The negotiating text is a framework that advances CSD policy recommendations. This years CSD is a high level forum on sustainable development, and will enhance its role so that it can respond to the new demands emerging from the World Summit for Sustainable Development (WSSD) Plan of Implementation and will continue to focus on the following thematic issues:
- Recognizing the problems and constraints that African countries are facing in the area of agriculture, rural development, land, drought, and desertification, and emphasizing that those problems and constraints should be adequately addressed through enhanced means of implementation during this session.
- Reaffirming the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development.
- Reaffirming that UN member states have a primary responsibility to make their best effort to respect, ensure, fulfill and promote the right to regular and permanent access to food security.
- Recognizing that for many years agriculture and rural development have received inadequate attention from governments and the international community.
- Provide research and extension support to organic agriculture to meet growing market demands.
While many SustainUS and other youth delegates are having a blast in writing policy recommendations plenty of work still needs to be done. So check back soon for further developments on the negotiating text for CSD-17!